Ken van der Walt of the Bryanston Support Group of the Parkinson Association of South Africa was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 1995 and admits it’s easy to feel despondent and apathetic.
In his manual entitled “Practical suggestions to help improve the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease”, Ken gives this advice to prevent the Parkinson’s “hitch hiker” from dominating your daily life:
• Accept the fact that you’re in competition with this illness.
• While getting dressed, think about what you’re going to do today.
• Slow down and concentrate more fully.
• If problems arise, meet them head-on. Don’t side-step them.
• Decide positively that today is going to be a new beginning. Parkinson’s disease is life-altering, but not life threatening!